Monday, July 28, 2014

In My Eyes: Chicago Stands with Israel - A Community-Wide Rally 7.28.14

Now, that was a rally. No offense to last week's rally put on by StandWithUs, but when the JUF decides to put on an event - they do it well. I still don't fully understand what happened or what precipitated having two rallies put on by two different organizations - and to be sure, for the duration of the conflict, maybe we should be doing this every week - but today's rally just felt right and for the most part, I only have positive things to say about it. First I'll give an overview of what went on and then I'll offer some parting observations at the end of this post.

That being said, starting off the rally with a less than enthusiastic, long-winded speaker, was probably not the best idea. I get what he was saying and I get that the gentleman was talking about a recent solidarity trip, but maybe it would be more effective to stick to one or two talking points in favor of more enthusiasm. Walking away from the rally, this was the only criticism I had. Later, a friend told me that towards the back of the crowd, the sound was not as loud and the counter-protestors seemed louder. That is unfortunate as well.

From there though, I only have positive things to say. The production itself was so precise and professional. The JUF always does a great job at having flags, signs, and publicity. The publicity brought out more people than last week's rally. I know that several north suburban congregations sent fairly sizable contingencies to the rally. The JUF seemed to really draw on getting local organizations to come out to stand with Israel. My mother's congregation sent a bus delegation, and I was happy to see our sons' day school represented as well. 


Additionally, JUF seems to really bring out the 'big hitters' in Chicago. Always a big Israel supporter, Senator Mark Kirk took the stage for some brief thoughts. Since his stroke, Senator Kirk is visibly changed and seems to keep a lower profile. But there he was, being helped to the stage, to simply say that Israel is our friend, Israel has the right to defend itself, and he stands behind Israel. I have met Senator Kirk - and before the stroke, he was a vivacious and engaging gentleman. It was hard to see him struggle today, but at the same time - it was meaningful and inspirational. I was also inspired by the strength of JUF's Dr. Steven Nasatir who emphatically implored the crowd to stay informed, to be an Israel advocate, and to educate others. Another outstanding speaker was Rev. Roosevelt Watkins III. It is great that the Jewish community has such friends in the African-American community - and like Pastor Chris Harris last week, Rev. Watkins spoke of his support for Israel and the need to heal the violence in Israel as we have to do in the Chicago South/West sides.

The rally ended powerfully with 2 young people reading the names of the Israeli IDF and civilian casualties. The reading of the names was followed by the singing of the traditional “El Maleh Rachamim.” It was very moving and only a minute or two later, we learned of the newest 5 Israeli casualties - a somber reminder of the steep price Israel is paying to gain peace from terror. Appropriately, after this 'memorial,' the rally ended with thoughts from Consul General Roey Gilad and then the singing of the US National Anthem and HaTikvah. HaTikvah is always emotional for me - in times of conflict and peace. Today was no exception. And it was nice to spot Pastor Chris Harris vociferously singing along - and realize that his singing last week was not just a "show."

A few parting thoughts:
1. There is something about standing in an Israel solidarity crowd and knowing so many people. Though I wish this show of solidarity was for positive reasons, it is still so comforting to be amongst friends. Those I saw today (and those I didn't), I love that we share a love for Israel.
2. Today we did not stick around to see if anything occurred after the rally. I had to get back north for work and my son wasn't feeling well and had to be picked up from camp. If anyone saw anything interesting and would like to chime in - please feel free to add interesting observations in the comments.
3. CPD did a great job with security. At no time did I feel any danger or threat. There were rooftop 'spotters,' gates for entrances, and the counter protestors were held at a distance. An announced request by CPD to disperse quickly and peacefully seemed a more reasonable request than last weeks singling out of one side while the other stood around.
4. A friend told me that a CPD officer commented - "you guys always have American flags...those guys never do." I am glad that they noticed. I noticed this last week as well. Additionally, both pro-Israel rallies have made a point to stress the concern for Israelis, IDF soldiers, AND Palestinian civilians. Multiple times today it was mentioned that we have no issue with Palestinians - only terrorists like Hamas. I hope this message, along with the appreciation of supporting America and Israel, continues to permeate future events.

5. To build off of point #4, I am so tired of the negativity put forth by the pro-Hamasniks. While our leaders talk of peace and our signs read of hope - in addition to placing the blame on Hamas, their chants and signs contain swastikas and hate towards all Jews and all of Israel. It's gross.
6. Yes, Yes, Yes to singing during the rally. I would add that we need to come up with some slogans to chant.

*IF you've read this far...I know that I owe a part II for the "Moshe the Beadle and Vladek Spiegelman" post from yesterday. I will get to that, but in the meantime, here's a link to yesterday's post in case you missed it: Part I.

No comments:

Post a Comment