Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A New Dawn - Post U.S. Election 2016

 "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying."
                                                                            -Andy Dufresne Shawshank Redemption


It's been awhile since I last blogged, and I suppose there's no time like the present in light of yesterday's election. I went to bed last night and woke this morning to despair. Despair in most of my Facebook feed, despair in many of the faces of my students, despair in the faces of many of my colleagues. And I guess, in light of the results of the U.S. election and the anointing of Donald Trump as president -elect, I fully understand.

But I woke up this morning with a different mindset, one I've seen slowly evolving on social media, one that I knew some of my friends who are our brightest spiritual & intellectual guides (you know who you are) would take: The real work begins now. This is the message that I discussed with my 9th and 10th grade classes this morning, and this is the message that I'd like to remember this year, next year, and into the next election cycle. The REAL work begins now.

As many know, this election cycle has been ugly, and maybe that's an understatement. I've tried to cope with it by joking about it in my own sarcastic way because in full disclosure, I found faults in both major party candidates - faults that made it hard for me to support or vote for either. But that election is over; it's water under the bridge at this point. And now we look in the mirror and ask ourselves: how did we get here?  And the answer is that this is bigger than Trump or Clinton. No matter who came out on top yesterday, the issues would remain. This is about our country's morals and values, it's about uncovering serious issues that have been festering in our country for centuries, for decades, for years. It is about thinking critically about the last year, and yesterday, and getting to work to make this place a better tomorrow for ourselves, for our children, and for their children.

To me, this is not scary; this is exciting and empowering. To me, this election brought serious issues to the forefront and we can no longer ignore them. To me, this gave me an opportunity to stress the morals and values we explore in my classroom - and encourage the kids to examine the past year and think about how they are going to effect positive change in the world. We looked at the electoral map for a bit and thought critically about what it told us (civic/digital literacy anyone??). We made a list, and we talked about action. We are bigger than one man or woman in the White House.

What are the issues we identified together in our brief time? Economic disparity, racism, sexism, educational equity, compassion, immigration, education on diversity for folks outside major city populations, etc. And coincidentally, we are going to follow up today's conversation with reading The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore, and using the book as a Call to Action - what does our world need and what are we going to do about it?

I get it. People are upset. I hear you. Please know, it is okay to lament and to grieve in your own way; however,
when you are done, please join me in spreading the empowering message that this election is a Call to Action. Let's work together to make this country and world even better than the place it already is by examining our issues and developing compassion and understanding. This is the message I will teach to my children. This is the message I discussed with my students. And this is the message I share with you.
all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you. Richard Bach
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richardbac149556.html
all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richardbac149556.html

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” 

"All the events in your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you"
                                                                                   -from Illusions by Richard Bach

No comments:

Post a Comment