Tuesday, May 24, 2022

America - We Have a Problem

 5.24.22

I'm sick to my stomach.

I'm sick to my stomach because as of this moment, we are mourning another school shooting. At least 18 kids and 1 teacher are dead. 23 years after Columbine, 15 years after Va Tech, almost 10 years after Sandy Hook, 4+ years after Parkland, and several other school shootings, we now have the 4th deadliest school shooting in American history at Robb Elementary School. 

I am sick to my stomach because as a teacher, for 23 years I am constantly looking at exits and places to duck for cover when I walk through the halls; and I know in my heart that with a gunman at the door of my classroom, I'd take a bullet for my students - it's in my DNA.

I'm sick to my stomach because we seem unable to solve this horrid problem.

I'm sick to my stomach because instead of engaging in dialogue, this issue has turned into political football with two sides - the GOP and Dems - lobbing accusations at each other. Heels dug in, unable and unwilling to find potential solutions to the gun problem in America.

I am sick to my stomach because in a few days, this tragedy will be swept under the rug and forgotten.  The media fanfare will subside. Meanwhile, kids will continue dying in the streets of America's cities every day without much publicity because we have a gun problem in this country - and it isn't just school shootings.

I am sick to my stomach because blacks are killing blacks in the streets of America and racists are killing blacks and brown people in super markets and churches.

I am sick to my stomach because this is not only a gun problem. This is a mental health problem. This is an economic problem. This is a nuclear family problem. And this will require action on several fronts by people with the courage to make changes in policy and in our communities.

I am sick to my stomach because we have a problem and instead of working together to solve it - we are more divided than ever, and as long as we remain polarized, we will be paralyzed to stop the next shooting and the next and the next.

I am sick to my stomach because our inaction is a sin and it is on our shoulders. History will judge us harshly.

I pray for the day when we can find a way to work together to end this violence in our schools, on our streets, in our places of worship, in our work spaces, and in other public venues.

And of course, tonight I pray for the parents and families of the Robb Elementary School community. I cannot imagine their pain tonight. My heart breaks for them all.

I am sick to my stomach.  G-d help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment