Friday, August 14, 2015

Israel - July 2015 Post #1: Friends Part 1

After spending most of July in Israel, first leading a Birthright group of 22-26 year-olds and then 2+ weeks with my wife and two boys, I am filled with thoughts. The thoughts range from personal to political - and honestly, I'm not sure exactly how to organize them...so I figured that I'd start blogging to keep track of the different topics, and one day, maybe, I will revisit them and organize them in some coherent form. Until then, over the next few days (weeks?) I will type some stream of conscious thoughts about my July in Israel. The thoughts are in no particular order. Read on or not, up to you...

“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”
― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah  

When I look back upon my month in Israel, I am sure that the people will stand out prominently. I would say that 90% of the places I visited and 90% of the activities I did, I had done before...so after leading 15 trips over the years, Israel, to me today, is more or less defined by the people in my eyes. So many of the people that I've traveled with in Israel over the past 3 decades have become a family to me. Like Bach's quote above, they are family of shared experience and love - even though we are not blood related nor did we grow up under the same roof.

With that being said, looking back on this July, it is about family to me - my wife, kids, and Israeli family. And one of the prominent memories I will have, centers on the number 28. You may or may not know that my first trip to Israel was in 1987, 28 years ago. Among the many awesome friends and events from that summer long ago, one of the most important relationships that has been an integral part of my life is the friendship with my "achi," my brother - Didi Remez.

During the summer of 1987, Didi and I became fast friends. The summer ended with him giving me the keys to his apartment, in a symbolic gesture signifying the hope that I would return and our friendship would live on. In 1995, after Didi was out of the army and I was done with college, that dream was fulfilled - I brought the keys back to Israel and to Didi and we worked as staff on a Shorashim trip. Over the past 20 years, Didi and I have kept in touch and our friendship has remained steadfast.  We have supported each other through ups and downs, visited and stayed at each others' houses, and celebrated together. In fact, Didi was a groomsman at my wedding, and though I was unable to attend Didi's wedding due to work, I have grown quite close to his amazing wife, Lilach.

My wife, Didi, and Lilach have spent time over the years as Brandi and I have visited Israel to lead various Birthright trips and for our honeymoon in 2003. During those times, we not only hung out with Didi, but grew to love his wife Lilach, like a sister of our own. She is an amazingly kind person, a superb cook, and an excellent judge of wine! The times with Didi and Lilach have always been special for us; however, this past July the four of us had the pleasure, for the first time, of introducing our 4 children to each other. After 28 years, it was amazing to spend several days with Didi, Lilach, and their children Aharon (8) and Avigail (6). In almost no time, my boys, Ami and Nadav (born within 3 days of Avigail), played together like they were long time friends.
Aharon and Ami (2015) & Me and Didi (1987)
It was amazing to see the older boys try to bridge the language gap, to see Ami try and speak Hebrew to Aharon, and to see that kids all over the world are quite similar - and engaged with technology. We spent time eating, building sand forts, playing soccer, swimming, laughing, and enjoying each others' company.

No doubt, watching the kids play and having our families together was awesome, but one of my favorite things to do in all of Israel, is to sit on a rooftop in Jaffa with my friend Didi and just talk. We had that opportunity a few weeks ago, and as always, I learned from Didi and felt the brotherhood we share across the oceans and miles between us.

In 1987, Didi and I vowed to each other that we would remain friends and that our doors were always open to each other. We have kept that vow and added families to the equation - I know that my life is the better for it.

I am so grateful to have amazing 'family' in Israel. Didi, Lilach, Aharon, and Avigail are part of my Shorashim - part of my Jewish roots - and every bit a part of my family. I am so thankful for the times we have spent together over the past 28 years and I look forward to the day when all 8 of us can once again be together - be it in Israel or Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment