Sunday, October 24, 2021

Sunday, Fun Day. Post Surgery Quick Update

10.24.21

As most of you have heard, things have gone really well this weekend. Thank you for your thoughts, notes, prayers, love...they worked!

Truthfully, I don't remember a thing from the surgery - which is a good thing. I remember the anesthesiologist reaching for my IV and saying they were starting 'calming' meds first. Liar. I was out like a light immediately. I awoke a few hours later in the recovery room. I feel like I should remember stuff from that time, but I don't remember a lot of that either.

Soon after recovery, they took me up to my room, where I have been since Friday afternoon. Apparently, I was first supposed to have a roommate, but because I have sleep apnea, Brandi was able to talk me into my own room. I'm quite thankful for that. It has allowed me freedom to watch what I want, listen to the Dead & Co shows the past 2 nights from Colorado, and walk around as I please. Much more relaxing.

The surgeon says that all went well and has continued to look good. He indicated the tumor was about the size of a golf ball and they took out about 1.5 feet of my colon in order to test all of it - including plenty of lymph nodes. At this point, the surgeon saw no signs of spread. And so we wait for pathology Tuesday or Wednesday.

My Friday spirits were greatly uplifted by a visit from an old friend from high school. I have been in touch with Brian over social media for years, but I probably haven't seen him in person in 30. Glad we got that corrected and I hope that it won't be the last time we get to hang out in real life.

My Saturday spirits were greatly uplifted by my brother Brian, who flew in from Arizona to help with the boys Friday. I'm sure it was an exhausting 24+ hours for him, but he's such a good person. I was happy to see him, even though I was sleepy, and I'm so grateful for his help.

To be honest, the pain has not been bad at all - more pressure. Imagine a 10 pound weight sitting on your bellybutton all day.  That's basically how I feel. I'm walking, eating, and watching sports. As Nadav said, "So, like a typical weekend for you." So yes, as 'normal' as possible. Thanks to everyone's help, the boys have had a normal weekend and I am grateful for that.

I probably could have gone home today, but the doctor indicated that that would be on the 'fast' side of things. It's tempting to think about being home, but I promised Brandi and everyone else that I would take care of myself first - going against most of my natural instincts. So I told the doctor that I am in no rush and wouldn't mind staying one more night to make sure the piping is flowing well.

Also, I am having some blood pressure issues, so I guess this is a good time to take a look at that.

That's the quick scoop. Minimal pain, no narcotics, healing quickly at this point, and waiting for the biopsy reports Tuesday or Wednesday.

Grateful to everyone for the love & prayers.
Grateful to everyone that has gotten their screenings scheduled - early detection saves lives!

We got this!
#GratefulFighters

1 comment: